Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

A Progressive Congregation with Robber Baron Roots

Trinity Cathedral, the seat of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, stands across the street from Cleveland State University at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East 22nd Street. The current building—the fourth location for Trinity—was designed by “Millionaires’ Row” architect Charles F. Schweinfurth and built in 1901-07 of Indiana limestone in the Gothic style. It is connected to an older parish house built in 1895 and Trinity Commons, constructed in recent years.

The first of Trinity Cathedral’s forerunners, Trinity Parish, was organized on November 9, 1816, in parishioner Phineas Shepherd’s home. The first Trinity Church, located at St. Clair and Seneca (West 3rd Street), was consecrated in 1829, making it the first church within what would become the city of Cleveland. However, a fire in the spring of 1854 destroyed the first Trinity Church. The second Church, located on Superior Street (Avenue) near Bond (East 6th) Street, was consecrated in 1855 and held services there for the next fifty-plus years.

The majority of the funding for Trinity Cathedral was donated generously by its wealthy parishioners such as Samuel L. Mather, a prominent Cleveland industrialist, whose family mansion is one of the last extant remnants of Millionaires’ Row. In addition to funding the building of the cathedral, when Trinity was consecrated in its current location, prominent pieces like the baptismal font (originally sponsored by Samuel J. Mather himself), as well as items from churches surrounding the old location, were moved as well, helping to provide a sense of continuity. Trinity’s sense of permeance is accompanied by a devoted open relationship with the community that surrounds it, due in large part to the fervent belief that the “Cathedral is the Church for the masses of the population… It knows no difference between wise and foolish, rich and poor, because it is the church for everybody.”

The belief that the church was for everyone is most readily shown in Trinity’s long involvement with the citizenry of Cleveland. The church has a long history of community outreach and social activism, reaching out through the Church Home for the Sick and Friendless as early as the 1850s. The cathedral transcended its socially prominent Millionaire’s Row connection to embrace racial integration in the 1960s and has more recently ministered to the homeless; adopted a modern, ecumenical liturgy; and championed openness toward members of the LGBTQ community in a time of denominational dissension.

Images

Audio

A Center Of Activity
Christine Branch and Ginger Bitikofer explain Trinity Cathedral's role in the city
View File Record
Being A Poet In America 1967
Cleveland Poet D.A. Levy reads his poem, "Jaywalking Blues", in 1967
View File Record
I Think You Call Us Negroes
Christine Branch recalls being asked about her ethnicity ~ Source: Cleveland Regional Oral History Collection
View File Record

Map

2230 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115 ~ See official website for hours and other information.