Western Reserve Historical Society

Founded in 1867, Western Reserve Historical Society is the oldest cultural institution in Northeast Ohio, the region's largest American history research center, and one of the leading genealogical research centers in the nation. Additionally, WRHS operates the Hale Farm and Village interpretive site in Bath, Ohio, Shandy Hall in Geneva, Ohio, and Loghurst in Canfield, Ohio.

The historical society collects, preserves, and presents the history of the Western Reserve, including Cleveland. It houses the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, the Halle Costume Wing, the Hay-McKinney Mansion, and the WRHS Library.

Originally located in the Society for Savings Bank building on Public Square, the historical society moved to Euclid and East 107th Street in 1892. In the late 1930s WRHS moved into the two mansions in University Circle where it still resides.

Images

Audio

The Historic Location Of WRHS
John Grabowski explains the connection between Euclid Avenue's Millionaire's Row and Western Reserve Historical Society
View File Record
Moving To University Circle
John Grabowski on the Western Reserve Historical Society's move from Public Square to University Circle
View File Record
History Is Just A Second Away
Newscaster Leon Bibb on the Western Reserve Historical Society
View File Record

Map