Founded in 1867, Western Reserve Historical Society is the oldest cultural institution in Northeast Ohio, the region's largest American history research center, and one of the leading genealogical research centers in the nation. Additionally, WRHS operates Hale Farm and Village in Bath, Ohio, Shandy Hall in Geneva,, Loghurst in Canfield, and Holsey Gates House in Bedford.
The historical society collects, preserves, and presents the history of the Western Reserve, including Cleveland. WRHS's main campus in University Circle, known as the Cleveland History Center, houses the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, the Halle Costume Wing, the Hay-McKinney Mansion, Euclid Beach Carousel, and the WRHS Library.
Originally located in the Society for Savings Bank building on Public Square, the historical society moved to Euclid Avenue and East 107th Street in 1892. In the late 1930s WRHS moved into the two mansions in University Circle where it still resides.