When Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport opened on July 1, 1925 it became the first municipally owned airport in the country. City Manager William R. Hopkins took much of the credit for this feat, and the airport was named for him on his 82nd…

The NASA Glenn Research Center opened west of Cleveland, adjacent to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, in 1941. Initially called the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory, the facility first served as a National Advisory Committee for…