Filed Under Education

University Hospitals

University Hospitals of Cleveland is a world-class, not-for-profit medical institution with close ties to Case Western Reserve University. Its roots go back to 1866, with the formation of the Cleveland City Hospital Association, a charitable society designed to provide medical care to Cleveland's poor. The association's hospital quickly outgrew its original facilities and in 1876 moved into the Marine Hospital at East 9th Street and Lakeside Avenue. Eventually it became known as Lakeside Hospital and, in 1895, was affiliated with Western Reserve University's Medical Department.

In 1925, Lakeside Hospital formally merged with Maternity Hospital and Babies & Children's Hospital - two other Cleveland medical institutions that formed around the turn of the century with the aid of charitable contributions. This merger created University Hospitals of Cleveland and led to the development of new medical programs, services, and facilities throughout the greater Cleveland area. Much of the new construction occurred in University Circle, where University Hospital's main campus remains today.

Audio

Becoming a Better Neighbor Dr. Edward Jackson of University Hospitals describes the institution's relationship with the surrounding community Source: Cleveland Regional Oral History Collection
Recruiting Minority Physicians Dr. Edward Jackson speaks about attempts to attract minority health professionals to University Hospitals Source: Cleveland Regional Oral History Collection
UH's Founding Mission Dr. Edward Jackson describes University Hospitals' founding mission Source: Cleveland Regional Oral History Collection

Images

Hanna House, 1930 The Hanna House medical facility, located in University Circle, opened in 1931. Philanthropist Leonard C. Hanna, Jr. was a major benefactor of University Hospitals. Source: Cleveland State Library Special Collections Date: 1930
Lakeside Hospital, 1898 The new Lakeside Hospital at Lakeside Avenue and East 13th Street, pictured here, opened in 1898. Lakeside Hospital eventually merged with two other institutions to form University Hospitals of Cleveland in 1925. Source: Cleveland State Library Special Collections Date: 1898
MacDonald's Women's Hospital, 1970 In 1936, Maternity Hospital (founded in 1891) was renamed for Calvina MacDonald, who dramatically improved services there during her tenure as superintendent of nurses. Source: Cleveland State Library Special Collections Date: 1970
Maternity Ward, 1956 Source: Cleveland State Library Special Collections Date: 1956
UH Campus, 1940 An aerial view of University Hospital's University Circle campus in 1940. Source: Cleveland State Library Special Collections Date: 1940
Reception Rooms, ca. 1940 Source: Cleveland State Library Special Collections Date: ca. 1940
Doctor's Lounge, ca. 1930 Source: Cleveland State Library Special Collections Date: ca. 1930

Location

11100 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106

Metadata

“University Hospitals,” Cleveland Historical, accessed September 30, 2022, https://clevelandhistorical.org/index.php/items/show/45.