Houses Marked for Demolition

Houses Marked for Demolition
Public housing was not built on empty fields and vacant lots but rather on top of houses that were bought by eminent domain to create the project. Here, houses marked for demolition to make way for the Cedar Extension (located south of Central Avenue across that street from the original Cedar-Central Apartments), in a time when demand for public housing was soaring. While the original housing and neighborhoods were imperfect, the new housing projects of the early decades were large, used brutal architecture, and were difficult to keep up when funding waned- which often lead to fractured communities. | Date: March 20, 1953 | Source: Cleveland Memory Project, Cleveland State University Library Special Collections
Download Original File