Eleanor Beatty Rainey (1842-1905)


This file appears in: Rainey Institute
Eleanor Beatty Rainey (1842-1905)

The wife of wealthy Cleveland industrialist, William J. Rainey, she devoted her life to many charitable causes. After her husband's death in 1900, she became interested in Anna M. Edward's temperance work among the East European immigrant children of what is today Cleveland's Hough neighborhood. In 1903, she purchased land on the northeast corner of East 55th Street and Dibble Avenue, and undertook to build a settlement house there so that Edwards could expand her work in the neighborhood. The new settlement house was at first called the Willson Avenue Industrial Institute when it opened in 1904, but the name was changed to the Eleanor B. Rainey Memorial Institute upon the sudden and unexpected death of Mrs. Rainey in 1905.


This file appears in: Rainey Institute