The Irvine U. Masters House


This file appears in: The Belden Seymour House
The Irvine U. Masters House

This Greek Revival-styled house at 3811 Franklin Boulevard, immediately to the west of the Belden Seymour House, was built for Irvine U. Masters in 1853. Masters served as mayor of Cleveland for just a little over a year--from January 1863 to May 1864, when illness compelled him to resign from office. He died the following year. Belden Seymour purchased the Masters house in 1868, moved it one lot to the west, and lived in it, while his grand Italianate house at 3805 Franklin was being built. Years later, this house, along with the Belden Seymour mansion and carriage house, were operated, first, as multi-family dwellings by the Seymour family, and then later, for decades, as tenement housing. This photo of the Masters House, showing it covered by insulbrick, was taken by a county tax inspector in 1957.


This file appears in: The Belden Seymour House