Needham Castle


This file appears in: Needham Castle
Needham Castle

Built in or about 1830 by early Cleveland westside politician and industrialist Needham Standart, Needham Castle stood at 5913 Detroit Avenue for over 120 years. The above watercolor sketch was drawn by Charles H. Taylor (1916-2009), a grandson of Herman and Ida Stuhr. The mansion was owned by the Stuhr family from 1884-1946. During the 1850s, the cupola prominently featured in this sketch was rumored to be a hiding place for runaway slaves and part of Cleveland's Underground Railroad.

Image courtesy of Nancy T. Schreiner


This file appears in: Needham Castle