Rev. Lewis Burton


This file appears in: St. John's Episcopal Church
Rev. Lewis Burton

Rev. Lewis Burton succeeded his brother as rector of St. John's and held the position for twenty-four years before leaving in 1871 to lead the All Saints and Saint Marks parishes. As leader of the church for the fifteen years leading up to the Civil War, Burton would more than likely have had knowledge of, if not taken part in, the harboring of fugitive slaves if the reports of St. John's Underground Railroad involvement are true.

Photo from Samuel Peter Orth, A History of Cleveland Ohio: Biographical Vol. 2


This file appears in: St. John's Episcopal Church