The Engine House


This file appears in: The Kentucky Street Reservoir
The Engine House

Built in the same years as the Kentucky Street Reservoir, the Engine House (shown in this 1856-1857 photo) was located near the intersection of Kentucky (West 38th) Street and Old River Street (Division Avenue), where the Garrett A. Morgan Water Treatment Plant stands today. The Engine House received water from a pipeline connected to an aqueduct submerged some 300 feet from shore in Lake Erie. Two Cornish steam engines in the Engine House then pumped the lake water through another pipeline some 2300 feet to the Kentucky Street Reservoir from where, by gravity, it was distributed by other pipelines to locations on the east and west sides of the City.


This file appears in: The Kentucky Street Reservoir