Early Fairview Park


This file appears in: The Kentucky Street Reservoir
Early Fairview Park

This undated photo is of Cleveland's Fairview Park, located on the grounds of what was once the Kentucky Street Reservoir. When the park officially opened in 1898, it had terraces which were built from the earthen embankment of the old Reservoir. Because visitors had a "fair view" of Lake Erie from those terraces, the City decided to name the park "Fairview." It remained a terraced park as shown in this photo until 1912 when the terraces were flattened. The dirt, sand and other materials taken from the park were used in the construction of new Edgewater Boulevard. This photo showing a view of the terraced hills was taken sometime between 1898 and 1912. The street in the foreground is Franklin Boulevard between West 32nd and West 38th Streets.


This file appears in: The Kentucky Street Reservoir