Public Square Fountain


This file appears in: The Kentucky Street Reservoir
Public Square Fountain

In September 1856, the City of Cleveland hosted the seventh annual Ohio State Fair. In preparation for the event, this fountain, which reputedly tossed water 30-50 feet into the air, was built in the center of Public Square and connected to the City's new water works system by a pipeline that ran from the new Kentucky Street Reservoir to the west bank of the Cuyahoga River, then under the river, and finally down Superior Avenue to the Square. In 1860, the fountain was moved from the center of the Square to the southeast quadrant to make room for the Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry statue.


This file appears in: The Kentucky Street Reservoir