The Cleveland Heights-University Heights School District has had four different schools at Lee Road and Euclid Heights Boulevard.
After breaking off from the East Cleveland school system, the district first built Lee Road School, the original Heights High. Eventually the structure would become the School Board building. Built in 1902, with an addition in 1905, it was home to the first Heights High graduating class in 1907: three girls and two boys. In the 1960s it was demolished for a track and field complex.
When Lee Road School opened, Cleveland Heights was on the cusp of tremendous growth and its civic leaders planned accordingly with a series of buildings over the next 20 years. Between 1910 and 1920, Cleveland Heights's population more than quintupled to 15,236. Population continued to swell to more than 50,000 by 1930. The scale of this growth is shown by the 1,077 homes built in 1919 alone.
The next building on the site, just south of the Lee Road School, was the first dedicated Cleveland Heights High School. This building, designed by the renowned firm of Walker and Weeks, was built in 1915. In 1926, it became Roosevelt Junior High School after a new high school was constructed at Cedar and Lee Roads.
On the opposite side of the site, facing east along Euclid Heights Boulevard, Boulevard Elementary School opened in 1924. Designed by Warner, McCornack & Mitchell, it was an expressive building (cost to build: $267,379), with minarets above its ornate stone-lined portico.
In the 1970s, Boulevard Elementary and Roosevelt Junior High were demolished and a more modern-looking elementary school was built on the site.
These four different buildings chronicle the growth of Cleveland Heights, as well as changes in educational architecture. While Roosevelt was demure compared to other Walker and Weeks projects, Boulevard Elementary clearly evoked the exuberant and expressive design aesthetic that characterized the "golden age" of school design.