Cleveland Institute of Music

The Cleveland Institute of Music was founded in 1920 by a small group of backers who each contributed $1,000 to get the institute off the ground. Initially the school focused on student performance. Classes were first taught in the Statler Hotel, then moved to various residences on Euclid Avenue until the institute built its own facility in University Circle in 1961.

CIM's first artistic director was Ernest Bloch, a Swiss composer and teacher who came to Cleveland from New York City. Bloch began teaching Dalcroze Eurhythmics, a holistic method of music education focusing on the expression of both musical and physical rhythms that is still taught to students today. The institute offers a comprehensive liberal arts education in conjunction with Case Western Reserve University and also provides a preparatory program for younger students. Since its founding, CIM continues to have a close relationship with the Cleveland Orchestra. The number of enrolled students has grown greatly from the initial 5 in 1920 to almost 2000 in the mid-1990s.

Images

Audio

Renovating CIM's Campus
Susan Schwartz recalls the renovation of CIM
View File Record
A Cultural Community
Susan Schwartz of CIM explains the relationship between CIM and the Cleveland Orchestra
View File Record
The Influence Of Ethnic Communities
Bonnie Eggers and Susan Schwartz explain the influence of Cleveland's ethnic communities in the formation of CIM
View File Record
Accomplished Alumni
Susan Schwartz of CIM speaks about the meaning of fame in the world of classical music
View File Record
Moving To University Circle
Susan Schwartz of CIM explains the decision to move to University Circle
View File Record
Ernest Bloch
This is an excerpt from Ernest Bloch's Suite Modale for Flute and Strings, Movement 1, Moderato. Found at International Music Score Library Project
View File Record

Map