The history of Mount Sinai Hospital began in 1892, as the Young Ladies' Hebrew Association started collecting funds to "care for the needy and sick." In 1903 it was decided that those funds would be used to establish a hospital catering to the needs of Cleveland's east side Jewish population. Mount Sinai Hospital opened on East 32nd Street, later moving to a larger facility on East 105th Street in 1916. Despite its inception as a Jewish hospital, Mount Sinai quickly became the primary healthcare provider to Cleveland's urban poor population - regardless of race or religion. The hospital pioneered in many areas of research and education and is known for accomplishing the first ever separation of conjoined twins.
The high cost of providing care to uninsured patients, as well as the competitive healthcare economy in Cleveland, led to the hospital's closure in 1996. The hospital's legacy lives on in the Mount Sinai Healthcare Foundation, a non-profit funding agency dedicated to research, education, and continuing service to Cleveland's Jewish and urban poor communities.