Case Western Reserve University traces its roots to Western Reserve College, founded in Hudson, Ohio in 1826. Industrialist Amasa Stone financed the college's move to Cleveland's University Circle in 1880 - the same year that the Case School of Applied Science opened next door. Case was the brainchild of philanthropist Leonard Case, Jr. The name Case Western Reserve University is derived from the merger of Western Reserve College and Case Institute of Technology in 1967. Throughout its history, Case Western Reserve University has shown excellence in many academic areas, notably business management, law, medicine, and engineering. The school was also the setting for the groundbreaking Michelson-Morley Experiment, an 1887 study which laid the groundwork for modern theories of physics.