The Church of the Covenant was built in 1909 in the English Gothic style with an imposing 140-foot tower. Originally known as Euclid Avenue Presbyterian Church, it became the Church of the Covenant in 1920 following the mergers of three congregations. Under the pastorate of Rev. Harry Bertrand Taylor from 1949 to 1966, the Church of the Covenant played a leading role in the civil rights era by pioneering racially integrated services. It became home to a widely dispersed congregation as a result of changing neighborhood demographics in the second half of 20th century.