Rockefeller Park Bridges

Charles Schweinfurth (1856-1919) was one of the premier architects in Cleveland around the turn of the 20th-century. He arrived in Cleveland in 1883 and went on to design a number of structures in and around the city, including a number of the mansions that lined Euclid Avenue's famous "Millionaires' Row."

The four bridges Schweinfurth designed in Rockefeller Park cross over Martin Luther King Boulevard at St. Clair Avenue, Wade Park Avenue, Superior Avenue, and -- furthest north near Gordon Park -- the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern (now Conrail) Railway tracks. They were erected between 1897 and 1900 and partially funded through a donation made to the Cleveland Park Board by John D. Rockefeller in 1896. The stone and concrete arched bridges feature winding staircases that lead down into Rockefeller Park. Although their condition declined somewhat over the years, the bridges have benefited from recent restoration work.

Images

Map