Filed Under Industry

Lamson & Sessions Co.

In 1866, brothers Thomas and Isaac Lamson joined with Samuel Sessions to form the Mt. Carmel Bolt Company in Southington, Connecticut. Three years later the three partners moved their operations to Cleveland, building a plant at 2188 Scranton Road in what is now northwest Tremont. This location—close to railroad tracks and the Cuyahoga River—proved ideal for moving raw materials and finished products into and out of the plant. Many of Lamson & Sessions’ employees lived in the area (then known as Lincoln Heights), largely because of the neighborhood’s close proximity to industries populating the Cuyahoga River Valley (The Flats).

The partnership was incorporated in the State of Ohio in 1883 and renamed Lamson & Sessions Company. In 1928, the company went public, selling shares of common stock on the Cleveland Stock Exchange, which later became part of the Midwest Stock Exchange and now is known as the Chicago Stock Exchange (CHX). Since November, 2007, Lamson & Sessions has operated as a subsidiary of Thomas & Betts Corp.

Lamson & Sessions grew rapidly after moving to Cleveland, developing into a national leader in the production of nuts, bolts, and other fasteners. As the company grew, its operations expanded to other locations in and around the city. During World War II, the company was among the largest manufacturers of nuts and bolts in the United States. In 1950, the company opened a new plant in suburban Brooklyn, Ohio, which replaced most of Lamson & Sessions’ other Cleveland-area facilities. Now headquartered in Beachwood, Ohio, and Memphis, Tennessee, Lamson & Sessions supplies the telecommunications, electrical, construction, consumer, power, and wastewater markets. One of its major business segments is Carlon, which, in addition to making a variety of industrial goods, was among the first manufacturers of the hula hoop. During the mid-1950s Carlon often produced more than 50,000 hula hoops per day!

Audio

Walworth Run Dr. John Grabowski, Krieger-Mueller Associate Professor in Applied History at Case Western Reserve University and Director of Research at The Western Reserve Historical Society, talks about Walworth Run, the stream that ran past Lamson & Sessions. Source: Courtesy of John Grabowski

Images

L&S Co. Factory, 1879 This image from 1879 shows the Lamson and Sessions Company's plant at 2188 Scranton Road, near the corner of Fairfield Avenue. The plant was located just above the industrial valley in what is now northwestern Tremont. Source: Cleveland Memory Project, Cleveland State University Library Special Collections Date: 1879
Lamson and Sessions Houses, ca. 1900 The homes of brothers Thomas and Isaac Lamson (left) and Samuel Sessions (right)—founders of industrial products manufacturer Lamson & Sessions—stood on the current site of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church on West 14th Street at Fairfield Avenue, one block east of their factory at Scranton and Fairfield. Source: Cuyahoga County Archives Date: Ca. 1900
Bolt & Nut Works, 1874 Workers from Lamson & Sessions Company's bolt and nut works pose for a group photograph in 1874. Source: Cleveland Memory Project, Cleveland State University Library Special Collections Date: 1874
Bolt & Nut Works, 1879 Workers from Lamson & Sessions Company's bolt and nut works pose for a group photograph in 1879. Source: Cleveland Memory Project, Cleveland State University Library Special Collections Date: 1879
Striking L&S Co. Workers, 1941 Mounted police officers scuffle with striking workers outside a Lamson & Sessions Company plant in 1941 Source: Cleveland Memory Project, Cleveland State University Library Special Collections Date: 1941
On Strike, 1941 Striking Lamson & Sessions Company workers pose in front of their plant in 1941. Source: Cleveland Memory Project, Cleveland State University Library Special Collections Date: 1941

Location

Metadata

Michael Rotman, “Lamson & Sessions Co.,” Cleveland Historical, accessed August 15, 2022, https://clevelandhistorical.org/index.php/items/show/98.