Filed Under Food

Captain Frank's Lobster House

A Particularly Fishy Experience

Literally and figuratively, Captain Frank’s covered the waterfront. On any given day, visitors to the East 9th St. Pier restaurant might be felled by wilting humidity or blistering wind. Once inside, they could order anything from hake to steak. Some remember the place as “wonderful” with the “best seafood.” Others describe it as “filthy,” “dimly lit,” and “a little creepy.” Many recall “fun times” in and out, but more than a few witnessed depressed, intoxicated or careless motorists drive their cars off the pier into the lake. Even the signage was fluid: Depending on the year, Captain Frank’s might be a “Lobster House” or a “Sea Food House.”

For 35 years, in fact, dichotomy and variety consistently defined Captain Frank’s. Patrons could enjoy the sounds of a nearby Cleveland Indians baseball game or watch planes take off and land at Burke Lakefront Airport. Or perhaps they’d watch a romantic sunset; converse with fishermen; absorb Lake Erie’s dubious smells; or fend off panhandlers, including one guy who lived outside the restaurant and called himself “Captain Frank.” The establishment was dry for its first five years, but later customers remember “power cocktails between double shifts,” free drinks for politicians, and compliant service to high schoolers.

Captain Frank was Frank Visconti, a Sicilian immigrant who emigrated to the United States in 1914, sold fish from a horse-drawn buggy and, for a time, operated the old Fulton Fish Market at East 22nd Street and Woodland Avenue. In 1953, Visconti bought an abandoned boat depot on the pier and turned it into one of Cleveland’s best-known restaurants. The structure burned in 1958 but reopened within a year. It flourished in the 1960s and 1970s, with great lake views, an indoor waterfall, festoons of fishing nets and frequently dirty lobster tanks providing all the ambiance families and couples could want. Notables ranging from Nelson Eddy, Judy Garland and Flip Wilson to Mott the Hoople and the Shah of Iran partied into the wee hours (or until they were asked to leave).

The structure itself actually housed several businesses; the Cleveland Seamen’s Service had offices on the north side of the restaurant and Visconti operated a luncheonette behind his restaurant. Old timers also recall a “custard stand” which may actually have been the luncheonette.

Visconti died in 1984. The restaurant limped along for another five years; but growing competition, increasingly mediocre food and service, and the fading allure of downtown were too much. New owner Rudolph Hubka, Jr., declared bankruptcy in 1989 and the building was demolished in 1994. Today, visitors to a reborn East 9th Street Pier can experience Mexican food, volleyball, bike tours and boat cruises. But the area’s offshore sights, sounds and smells can still invoke memories of untold fishy experiences.


Fish in the Fifties
Fish in the Fifties Captain Frank's opened in 1954, then the sole occupant of the East 9th St. Pier. Note the vessel at upper right. It was a German U-505 submarine that was docked along the pier for a few days in 1954 en route to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. The U.S.S. Cod later occupied the same berth after being decommissioned and moved from the St. Lawrence Seaway to Cleveland in 1959. The Cod's five diesel engines were built by General Motors' Cleveland Diesel Plant on the west side of Cleveland. Source: Cleveland State University, Department of Special Collections
Order for Pickup?
Order for Pickup? An errant plane complicates access to Captain Frank's.
The Hostess Will Seat You Now
The Hostess Will Seat You Now Interior photo of Captain Frank's Source: Cleveland State University, Department of Special Collections
Big Fish
Big Fish An aerial view of Captain Frank's offers a sense of just how large the building was. Source: Cleveland State University, Department of Special Collections Date: 1960s
Flame Broiled
Flame Broiled A 1958 fire nearly destroyed the restaurant, but Visconti quickly rebuilt. Source: Cleveland State University, Department of Special Collections


E 9th St Pier, Cleveland, OH | Closed Permanently


Chris Roy, “Captain Frank's Lobster House,” Cleveland Historical, accessed July 23, 2024,