Filed Under Businesses

Diamond's Flowers

Nearing its 80th anniversary, Diamond's Flowers is the second oldest business in Coventry Village, second only to Heights Hardware. Diamond’s is also the oldest business to originate on the street. Although many years have passed since the store opened, customers who visit the floral boutique today would see little difference between then and now. Not only has the store not moved from its original location, the way flowers are prepared and arranged has remained largely the same. Even the flower coolers are the same ones installed almost 80 years ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Diamond opened their flower boutique in 1934. After 35 years they sold Diamond's Flowers to Max R. Ferris and his wife Thelma Woods. The new owners continued to run the business the same way the Diamond family did. After Mrs. Ferris died in 1981, Mr. Ferris ran the store until a fall forced him to stop working.

In 1985, Roseana Bass came to work at Diamond's Flowers and prepared herself to take over the store. Because Diamond's Flowers was well known for its quality, Bass, like the Ferrises, learned the same methods of floral preparation that had been used at the small shop for more than 50 years. Bass continues to run the store, watching Coventry Village change around her. This old business stands as a reminder of the many boutique and mom-and-pop businesses that once adorned the street.

Audio

Beginnings to Now Roseana Bass talks about how Diamond's Flowers has passed into different ownership since it first opened. Source: Cleveland Regional Oral History Collection
Mr. Diamond's Ghost Roseana Bass talks about wanting to uphold the reputation of Diamond's Flowers. Source: Cleveland Regional Oral History Collection

Images

Shop Window Diamond's Flowers has been at 1840 Coventry Road since 1934. Its shop windows are still elaborately decorated. Source: Roseana Bass
Original Delivery Truck Since at least the 1950s, Diamond's Flowers has offered deliveries to anywhere in the city. Pictured here is the original delivery truck from the 1930s. It is parked by the store's back entrance. Source: Roseana Bass
At the Coventry Street Fair, 1974 The floral boutique has participated in the Coventry Street Fairs since they began in 1974. When Roseana Bass took over in 1985, she had her daughter stand in front of the store and sell roses for $1. Although Diamond's Flowers has been a part of Coventry for almost 80 years, people are still surprised to find a flower shop when they attend the fair's festivities. Creator: Joe Polevoi
Diamond Flowers Interior The inside of Diamond's Flowers is still adorned with floral arrangements and decorations. The coolers are original inventory, dating to the 1930s. Source: Roseana Bass
Diamond's Flowers, 2012 The flower store once occupied the shop to its right as well. In 1995, Diamond's Flowers owner Roseana Bass had to give up the extra space. Creator: Heidi K. Fearing

Location

1840 Coventry Rd, Cleveland Heights, OH 44106

Metadata

Heidi Fearing, “Diamond's Flowers,” Cleveland Historical, accessed September 30, 2022, https://clevelandhistorical.org/index.php/items/show/444.