Farmers and the Plank Road.

Farmers and the Plank Road.
This December 23, 1874 Cleveland Plain Dealer article reveals that it was in the summer of 1874 that Warrensville farmers banded together to form a plank road company for the purpose of building and maintaining a plank road extending from the City of Cleveland city limits to one mile past the Warrensville Town center. A toll was charged for use of the road--$.08 per horse and $.16 for a team of horses. The toll would have been collected at the house, known as a toll station, located near the toll gate.
Image courtesy of Cleveland State University Library, Special Collections.
Download Original File