Breakwall Construction, 1956

Breakwall Construction, 1956
Lakewood Mayor Frank P. Celeste (second from left) visits workers during the construction of a breakwall in Lakewood Park in 1956. A 14-ton pre-cut boulder is being lowered by a crane into position on the water's edge. The breakwall was built by the city in an effort to curtail the erosion of the cliffs (caused by the constant pounding of waves) which the park sits on top of.

Image courtesy of Cleveland State Library Special Collections
Download Original File