The Diagonal Road

The Diagonal Road
As early as 1927, plans were submitted to the City Plan Commission for the construction of a diagonal road from Prospect Avenue to Carnegie Avenue between East 40th and East 55th Streets. The purpose of the road was to relieve congestion on Prospect, but also to provide customers with better access to merchants with shops on Prospect. The road, now known as Prospect Road, was finally built in 1931. It extends diagonally from midway between East 40th and East 46th on Prospect Avenue to midway between East 47th and East 55th on Carnegie Avenue. This photo of traffic at the intersection of Prospect Street and Carnegie Avenue was taken in 1936. | Source: Cleveland State University, Michael Schwartz Library, Special Collections
Download Original File