Richman Bros. ad from the 1930s


This file appears in: Sidney Hillman Memorial Building
Richman Bros. ad from the 1930s

Henry Richman and Joseph Lehman founded this firm in Portsmouth, Ohio in 1853, relocated it to Cleveland in 1879, and in 1904 transferred ownership to Richman's three sons and renamed it Richman Bros. Despite the massiveness of the 650,000 square-foot facility of E. 55th St., which, along with a far-flung retail empire, employed some 25,000 workers at its peak, the firm remained family-owned and committed to treating its employees as part of the Richman Bros. "family." The Amalgamagated struggled for years to organize this firm, but it never succeeded.


This file appears in: Sidney Hillman Memorial Building