A House in Transition

A House in Transition
These two Ohio Sanborn Fire Insurance map building footprints of the Luther Moses House graphically show the exterior alterations made to convert it from a nineteenth century single family house to a twentieth century multifamily dwelling. The footprint on the left (when the house's street address was 1220 Lexington) is from the 1896 Sanborn map. By this year, the front of the house had been relocated to the south (Lexington Avenue) side of the structure and a porch had been added to the entire new front, but otherwise the exterior of the house remained as originally designed, except for the one-story addition constructed onto its east side by Luther Moses in 1851. The footprint on the right (after the street address had changed in 1906 to 5611 Lexington) is from the 1912-1913 Sanborn map, and shows the exterior changes made to the house by Arnold and Pauline Roth in 1912. A shortened, two-story porch has replaced the longer one-story porch; a second floor has been added to the addition on the east side of the house; and an exterior stairwell has been added to the north side of the house to serve as access for tenants. | Source: Cleveland Public Library, Digital Map Collection
Download Original File