The City comes to the Countryside

The City comes to the Countryside
In 1871, as talk mounted of annexing rural East Cleveland Village to fast-growing urban Cleveland, located just to the west of the Village across Willson Avenue (East 55th Street), Luther and Arvilla Moses submitted this proposed residential subdivision plat, involving approximately 13 acres of their farmland to the Village Council. It was approved in 1872, the same year that East Cleveland was officially annexed to Cleveland. The Luther Moses House site, outlined in red, occupied all of sublot 4, and the east half of sublot 2, in the new subdivision. In 1875, according to an article which appeared in the Cleveland Leader on May 12 of that year, Moses Avenue was renamed Lexington Avenue by Cleveland City Council as the result of "Centennial fever." | Source: Office of Cuyahoga County Fiscal Officer, Digital Plat Collection
Download Original File