The Stillman Theater


This file appears in: The Stillman Theater
The Stillman Theater

Opened in 1916, near the corner of East 12th and Euclid Avenue, it was the first theater on upper Euclid Avenue, predating the branding of that area as Playhouse Square by more than four years. The Stillman Theater was known, among other things, for premiering some of Hollywood's most famous films, including Gone with the Wind in 1940. As happened to most of Cleveland's downtown theaters in the 1960s, the Stillman theater closed in that decade. Regrettably, it was soon torn down to make room for a Statler Hotel parking garage. This occurred nearly a decade before Ray Shepardson came along in the early 1970s and saved four other historic Playhouse Square theaters. This photo, with a view west on Euclid Avenue near East 12th street, was taken in 1954.


This file appears in: The Stillman Theater