Anshe Emeth Temple - 1904


This file appears in: Fir Street Cemetery
Anshe Emeth Temple - 1904

The oldest conservative Jewish congregation in Cleveland, Anshe Emeth established the western cemetery in Fir Street Cemetery in 1877. The congregation itself was founded by Jewish Polish immigrants in 1859. It first worshiped in rented rooms, and then in a former Methodist Church on Erie (East 9th) Street, before in 1904 building this brick temple on Forest (East 37th) Street, south of Scovill Avenue. When the Anshe Emeth congregation moved to East 105th Street in 1922, the temple became home to Zion Hill Baptist Church. It was razed at some time after 1985. The congregation of Anshe Emeth, in the twentieth century, merged with Beth Tefilo congregation to form the Park Synagogue Anshe Emeth Beth Tefilo congregation.


This file appears in: Fir Street Cemetery