The Superior Viaduct


This file appears in: The Campbell Block
The Superior Viaduct

Constructed during the period 1875-1878, it was the first high level bridge that connected Cleveland's east and west sides. In planning for the western approach to the bridge, the city purchased an eighty foot wide piece of land just east of the intersection of Vermont Avenue and Pearl (West 25th) Street, which left remnant parcels for commercial use, including a triangular-shaped one fronting on the north side of Viaduct Avenue. It was on this remnant piece of land that Scottish immigrant Alexander Campbell built the two Campbell Block buildings, the first in 1880 and the second in 1892. This 1876 sketch of the Viaduct is from near the intersection of West 25th Street and Detroit Avenue, facing east.


This file appears in: The Campbell Block