That Little Park

That Little Park
Once made fun of, in 1926, by the Plain Dealer as too small to actually be a park, the little park on the northwest corner of Detroit Avenue and West 25th Street sits at the historic epicenter of boxing in Cleveland. It was originally named Masterson Square in 1921, to memorialize a popular ward leader whose son was a boxing contemporary of Johnny Kilbane. Decades later in 2000--after nearly everyone had forgotten the park's name, it was named Jimmy Bivins Park, after the legendary Cleveland boxer who did so much to help disadvantaged youths on the near west side. The above photograph was taken in December 2015. St. Malachi Church, where the west side boxing tradition started in 1894, can be seen looming in the background. | Source: Jim Dubelko
Download Original File