Captain Wellet's House


This file appears in: Admiral Kidd's Neighborhood
Captain Wellet's House

From the start, the house at 1864 W. 50th Street was home to Great Lakes sailors. In 1870, developer Elias Root sold the lot upon which the house sits to John Stewart, a Scottish sailor, who built the house in 1880. Upon Stewart's death, the property was sold in 1884 to Laura Wellet, the wife of Luke Wellet, who captained ships on the Great Lakes for many years. Captain Wellet, who improved the house by adding the white-columned, yellow brick porch, lived in the house until his death in 1914. His widow Laura, who was active in the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Shipmasters' Association, continued to reside there until she died in 1927. Their daughter, Nellie Wellet MacKeigan, purchased the Captain Miner house (see previous photo) in 1909, living with her husband Angus and children up the street from her parents. Nellie lived in the Captain Miner house until her death in 1954.


This file appears in: Admiral Kidd's Neighborhood