The Shipbuilder's House


This file appears in: Admiral Kidd's Neighborhood
The Shipbuilder's House

The house at 1794 W. 50th Street was built by William J. Miller in 1890, two years after the Isaac Kidd family moved onto the block. Miller was one of the best known ship builders on the west side of Cleveland. His mother-in-law, Catherine Biddulph Smith, who lived on the block from approximately 1857 until her death 50 years later in 1907, was married to a vessel captain. Young Isaac Kidd, six years old when the house went up, would have been impressed both by the grandeur of the new house as well as by the skill set of the men of the sea who most likely designed and built her.


This file appears in: Admiral Kidd's Neighborhood