A West-Side Resort


This file appears in: Scenic Park
A West-Side Resort

Recreation was serious business in Cleveland at the turn of the century. Following the highly-successful inaugural season of Forest City Park in 1893, plans were announced for the construction of two new resort pleasure grounds on the eastern and western borders of the city. Scenic Park and Euclid Beach Park opened in 1895, and were succeeded by Manhattan Beach in 1900 (revamped as White City in 1902) and Luna Park in 1905. Each amusement parks vied to seduce the growing urban populace into spending time and money within their grounds. Rival companies tirelessly worked to outdo competitors in developing the biggest, brightest, and most extravagant attractions.


This file appears in: Scenic Park