Rockefeller's Forest Hill Section, ca. 1935


This file appears in: Brith Emeth Temple/Ratner School
Rockefeller's Forest Hill Section, ca. 1935

John D. Rockefeller Jr. planned to develop 600 Norman-style residences on a curvilinear street plan on a portion of his father's former summer estate. Conceived in the late 1920s, the plan foundered upon the onset of the Great Depression, leaving only 81 homes and this commercial gateway center (at Mayfield Road and Lee Boulevard) completed. After Mayfield Road, the Park Nursery had started in 1918. In 1929 it leased from Rockefeller a wooded parcel between Mayfield and Euclid Heights Boulevard. Three years later, Rockefeller deeded the property to the Park School. The Anshe Emeth Beth Tefilo Congregation later left Glenville to build Park Synagogue on this site in 1950. Park in turn spawned the Ratner School in 1963.


This file appears in: Brith Emeth Temple/Ratner School