Deerlick Oil Stone Company Factory, 1909


This file appears in: Griffithsburg
Deerlick Oil Stone Company Factory, 1909

Organized in 1886, the Deerlick Oil Stone Company used quarried material from Griffithsburg to manufacture their fine-grained whetstones. The company was internationally known for the quality of their oil stone, and was eventually bought out in 1909 by the Carborundum Company.

The exploration of whetstone factory ruins in Cleveland Metropolitan Park District's South Chagrin Reservation remained a favorite destination of park visitors and Boy Scouts into the 1950s.


This file appears in: Griffithsburg