Franklin Avenue in its Heyday


This file appears in: A Reprieve for Maria Barstow
Franklin Avenue in its Heyday

This section of the 1881 City of Cleveland map reveals the array of fine houses and mansions that lined Franklin Avenue between Kentucky (West 38th) Street and Harbor (West 44th Street) Maria Bartow's home at 4211 is circled in red. Above and to the left, circled in green, is the lot where Hannes Tiedemann was preparing to build Franklin Castle, which was constructed between 1881-1883. To the right and above, circled in blue, is the mansion of Henry Coffinberry, one of Cleveland's prominent early industrialists. Also seen on this map to the right is the Kentucky Street Reservoir, Cleveland's first reservoir. It was built in 1853 and served famously as the site of promenade walks for the west side's elite.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Public Library, Digital Map collection


This file appears in: A Reprieve for Maria Barstow