Spirit of the Slovak League of America


This file appears in: Balancing Slovak Identity and Patriotism
Spirit of the Slovak League of America

On May 29, 1943, a ceremony was held at Cleveland Airport (now known as Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport) in which three trainer airplanes, each inscribed with the name "Spirit of the Slovak League of America," were turned over to the War Department for pilot training during World War II. The planes were purchased from the voluntary contributions of thousands of Slovaks in 37 states across the United States. In the above photo, Monsignor Dubosh, standing next to Cleveland mayor Frank Lausche, is seen delivering his dedicatory address.

Image courtesy of the Slovak Institute


This file appears in: Balancing Slovak Identity and Patriotism