Overseeing Birdtown


This file appears in: Balancing Slovak Identity and Patriotism
Overseeing Birdtown

Monsignor Francis Dubosh reads a letter at his desk in his office at the rectory at Saints Cyril and Methodius Church in Lakewood. His office overlooked Madison Avenue and Quail Street, one of the colorfully-named streets in Lakewood's Birdtown. Birdtown was home to one of the Cleveland area's largest Slovak communities for much of the twentieth century. Msgr. Dubosh served Birdtown's Catholic Slovaks as pastor at Saints Cyril and Methodius from 1927-1967. This photo was taken in 1960.

Image courtesy of Cleveland State University. Michael Schwartz Library. Special Collections.


This file appears in: Balancing Slovak Identity and Patriotism