Gatehouse, 2008


This file appears in: Monroe Street Cemetery
Gatehouse, 2008

The gatehouse was designed by Cleveland architect Walter Blythe. It is one of very few remaining examples of Blythe's work in Cleveland. Designed in a Gothic Revival architectural style, its construction was completed in 1876. The building served to hold the cemetery records in a small office on the south end of the building while the much larger room on the north end was used for funerals and making burial arrangements. The building was constructed by J.D. Copperfield for the sum of $4,768.25. Materials used in the construction include sandstone, decorative sheet metal panels and slate roofing shingles. A belltower, ornamental chimney, and embellishments along the ridgeline of the roof were later damaged and removed.

Image Courtesy of Alan Fodor.


This file appears in: Monroe Street Cemetery