"Shaker Park" is Created, 1896


This file appears in: Horseshoe Lake
"Shaker Park" is Created, 1896

In 1896, the Buffalo real estate company that owned the old Shaker lands donated 279 acres of it, including Lower and Horseshoe Lakes, to the City of Cleveland. The new parkland followed the path of Doan Brook, connecting with Ambler Park, Wade Park, Rockefeller Park, and Gordon Park to create a nearly continuous stretch of parks from Shaker Heights to Lake Erie. This article announcing the donation appeared in the Cleveland Plain Dealer in 1896.

Image Courtesy of Cleveland State University. Michael Schwartz Library. Division of Special Collections.


This file appears in: Horseshoe Lake