Old City Hall Building


This file appears in: Cleveland City Hall
Old City Hall Building

Before moving to its current location, Cleveland's council chambers were located in the Case Block, a building situated on what is now the location of the Cleveland Public Library's main building. On February 18, 1875, city officials leased the $800 thousand building for $36 thousand per year to serve as Cleveland's City Hall. Because the building was so large, the city rented out the space to artists, retail store owners, and business owners. The architect of the building—Charles W. Heard—also held office space in the Case Block. After renting the building for 31 years, the city purchased it in 1906, only to move to its new home on Lakeside Avenue ten years later.

Image Courtesy of Cleveland State University. Michael Schwartz Library. Cleveland Press Collection.


This file appears in: Cleveland City Hall