Wade Park and the Cleveland Museum of Art


This file appears in: Wade Memorial Chapel
Wade Park and the Cleveland Museum of Art

Wade is well known for his donation of 75 well-groomed acres in 1885. He gave the land outright to the city in order to create Wade Park. When he donated the park in what is now University Circle, he withheld several acres as a "College Reserve" or a possible art gallery. His grandson Jeptha H. Wade II eventually donated the "Reserve" as plans were being laid to build the Cleveland Museum of Art. Wade II also contributed $1,250,000 towards the construction of the museum itself. An unknown individual is shown here rescuing a swan from the ice in Wade Park. The Cleveland Museum of Art is visible in the background.  

Image courtesy of Cleveland State University. Michael Schwartz Library. Special Collections.


This file appears in: Wade Memorial Chapel