Erie Street Cemetery


This file appears in: Lorenzo Carter Cabin
Erie Street Cemetery

Lorenzo and Rebecca Carter's graves sit right by the East 9th Street entrance of the Erie Street Cemetery. The plaque at the base of the grave reads "They Remained -- Others Fled." In June of 2006, the Early Settler's Association, along with Carter's great granddaughter Jessie Carter Martin, added a thick reddish-pink granite slab to the Carter's grave, since the original grave was getting very worn out.

The Erie Street Cemetery was acquired in 1825 when the city decided that the first Cleveland cemetery, Ontario Cemetery, was too small, too close to the city center, and needed to be moved. Graves (including the Carters') were dug up and tombstones moved from Ontario and Prospect Streets to the Erie Street Cemetery, which is located on East 9th Street, just across from Progressive Field.

Image courtesy of Megan Navratil


This file appears in: Lorenzo Carter Cabin