Deceased Make Room for the Living


This file appears in: Wagar Cemetery
Deceased Make Room for the Living

With an evergrowing population, the city of Lakewood found itself, in the mid-fifties, in dire need of more space for its burgeoning medical facility. The forgotten cemetery was the answer to this pressing need for more space, and the city of Lakewood finally convinced Wagar's descendents that economic progress was far more important than the preservation of historical space. The Lakewood Hospital, now part of the Cleveland Clinic, purchased the Wagar Cemetery from the city. However, the tenants of Wagar's cemetery would not remain silent: In 1957, parts of 54 human skeletons turned up during the excavation for a new hospital parking lot.

Image courtesy of Cleveland State Library Special Collections


This file appears in: Wagar Cemetery