Oldest Stone House, 1902


This file appears in: Oldest Stone House
Oldest Stone House, 1902

The Oldest Stone House (right) is shown next to a commercial building on the north side of Detroit Avenue in 1902. To the right of the Oldest Stone House is St. Charles Avenue, a north-south street which was constructed in 1901. Researchers at the Lakewood Historical Society have found some evidence to suggest that the house was moved 20 feet west of its original 1834 location during the construction of St. Charles Avenue.

German immigrants Otto and Sophia Miller lived in the house from 1901-1903 with their three children. Otto Miller was a coachman for Charles L.F. Wieber, owner of the Lakewood Realty Company, which had purchased the Oldest Stone House in 1899 to use as a sales office for its Lakewood Park residential development. It seems likely that the Millers rented the house from Wieber once the sales office had closed down.

Image courtesy of the Lakewood Historical Society


This file appears in: Oldest Stone House