Coventry Poultry Market, 1985


This file appears in: Coventry Village
Coventry Poultry Market, 1985

The Coventry Poultry Market opened at 1825 Coventry Road during the 1940s. It was one of a number of kosher meat markets that once existed on Coventry, catering to its large Jewish population. Live chickens were housed and slaughtered on site at the market, with the slaughtering adhering to strict Jewish standards.

By the time this photograph was taken, the Coventry Poultry Market was one of the last remaining reminders of the neighborhood's Jewish past. It was later torn down and is now the site of the parking garage on the east side of Coventry Road.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Heights Historical Society


This file appears in: Coventry Village