Rear Exterior of St. Colman Church


This file appears in: St. Colman Catholic Church
Rear Exterior of St. Colman Church

The construction of St. Colman's Catholic Church was headed by Rev. James O'Leary, the parish's second pastor. Reflective of a time when Cleveland's Irish community was increasingly becoming assimilated into mainstream society while still battling anti-Irish sentiment, the monumental building was designed to act as a symbol of the community's strength and sophistication.

With plans for the church being developed as early as 1905, the choice of its classical style drew from the influence of Cleveland's Group Plan and the progressive-era ideals that found architectural representation in the City Beautiful movement. Many of the building's Italian Renaissance features were initially developed by Count Lenore of Rome. The details of the church, however, were eventually transcribed into working plans by Cleveland architects E. Schneider and E. J. Potter - both of whom specialized in church architecture.

Photograph courtesy of Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization


This file appears in: St. Colman Catholic Church