Orange Avenue Bath House, 1929


This file appears in: Lincoln Park Baths
Orange Avenue Bath House, 1929

The 3-story facility which opened at 1609 Orange Avenue in 1904 was the first bath house in Cleveland to be run by city authorities. When it first opened, neighborhood residents (at the time, mainly Jews) could bathe there for $.02. The bath house also held a gymnasium, laundry rooms, and spaces where various clubs could meet.

In 1920, a Cleveland Foundation survey reported that Jews had moved away from the neighborhood around the bath house and had been replaced largely by Italians and African-Americans. While the baths remained widely used (166,961 baths were taken at the facility in 1919), the report noted with regret that participation in recreational activities at the Orange Avenue Bath House had declined following the demographic changes.


This file appears in: Lincoln Park Baths